Thursday, August 19, 2010

Au Gratin Celebration

Happy birthday to my mom today!



She is one person who has been there for me through thick and thin, good times and bad, all of my life. I've gotten a lot of "I told you so's" and "if you'd only listened to me the first time's" but regardless, she's loved me no matter what. She went out of her way to make sure I had the things I needed and wanted for that matter. She's my best friend.

I remember as a kid that she loved asparagus. I tried it a few times and the taste about made me gag. It even got to where I couldn't handle the smell. So at the beginning of the week, I got a whim to buy some fresh asparagus when I was shopping for groceries. Why, you ask. You've GOT me! haha! So in an effort to let bygones be bygones, I tried to make it a little different last night to take to dinner with family. I mean, who's going to really give you an honest opinion other than family right?! I feel bad for these people because they are often my guinea pigs! Anyway, the asparagus turned out pretty tastey. I even ate it and didn't gag!!! I may have turned over a new asparagus leaf. So today, in honor of my mom, I'm going to do an asparagus recipe!

A new Asparagus Au Gratin



1 bundle of fresh asparagus, rinsed, stems cut
4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano
shredded parmesan cheese
Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs

Wash and cut the stems of your asparagus. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay the asparagus out on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, garlic and oregano. Roast in the oven, on 400F for 6 minutes. Flip your asparagus and roast for another 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and turn your broiler on. Sprinkle shredded parmesan over the asparagus and put under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs over the cheese. Spray the panko with cooking spray and return to the oven under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Serve right out of the oven.

Happy birthday mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment