Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Another Drab to Fab moment!

I have this small obsession with pineapples after I saw a white ceramic one on this last season of The Biggest Loser. I want one so bad and have not been able to find one, so if anyone knows where one is, please fill me in!

Here's the back story on the pineapple:

Since the late 1700s, the pineapple has been used as a symbol of welcome and hospitality. Families whose homes are adorned with the fruit wish their guests a feeling of graciousness and inviting warmth.

I picked up these outdoor ornaments from Old Time Pottery (love that place!) last week when my parents were in town. I got both of them for less than $10!!! But who says you can't transform an outdoor ornament into indoor gloriousness??



I wanted to bring these lovely symbols of hospitality to life as well as to match the decor in my living room. The great thing about these are that you could go real funky with them, or you can mute them down to be subtle. I knew I wanted mine to be two toned. I want the pedestal part one color and the actual pineapple part to be a different color. So in order to do that, I used painter tape to tape off the bottom of the pineapple so that I didn't get paint all over the bottom.



Once they are taped off, I took spraypaint (color of your choice) and sprayed the top portion of the pineapple.




Once the paint dried, I took the tape off and got out my acrylic paint to paint the pedestal portion. Acrylic paint dries really quickly, that's why I like to use it. I love some instant gratification! :)


After a jif when the paint dries you've got a brand new, transformed, indoor/outdoor accent piece!


And while I'm on my pineapple kick today, the recipe for the day is Pineapple Cheesecake Squares!

Pineapple Cheesecake Squares


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cup butter

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, confectioners' sugar, and almonds. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20minutes.

While the crust is baking, prepare the cream cheese layer. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in 2/3cup unsweetened pineapple juice. Pour over hot crust and bake for about 20 minutes more in preheated oven. Allow to cool completely.

Make the topping: In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in crushed pineapple. Cool completely. When cool, fold in whipped cream. Spread topping over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate 4 hours before cutting into squares and serving.

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I love this website.... Amanda is so talented... great new ideas and the recipes are the best!! Thanks Amanda! Or should I say "Martha"??? ha!!

    ReplyDelete