Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Salsa Verde

So Sunday evening I tried my hand at making Salsa Verde. I'm not one who likes tomatoes so anything I can make without them in it, I'm game! Low and behold it turned out really well and I thought I would share! I am starting to believe I have some Latino in my heritage somewhere down the line. :)

Salsa Verde



2 pounds tomatillos, husked
1/4 cup sliced jalapenos
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 dash black pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules

Place tomatillos in a large pot. Pour in just enough water to cover the tomatillos; they will float, so press them down with your hand as you measure the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the color of the tomatillos lightens to a yellow color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the tomatillos from the pot of water. Place into the bowl of a food processor; add the cloves, garlic, jalapenos, cumin, pepper, and chicken bouillon. Puree until smooth.

The guys that were at the house were my guinea pigs, such a tough life they have. They ate it with tortilla chips. Then that night for dinner I grilled chicken breasts until cooked through, put the chicken breasts on a baking sheet, topped with the Mexican blend shredded cheese and some salsa verde and put it under the broiler until the cheese was melted. It was delicious!!!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment