Tuesday, September 7, 2010

French Onion Casserole

Back to the grindstone! I had a fabulous full holiday weekend! I had a fantastic photo lesson on Friday with a special cousin who was patient with me. This is the product of that, is she not cute!!?



Then yesterday, I had another photo shoot with Miss Riley. Is she not a baby doll??



So getting back in the swing of things, today's recipe is French Onion Casserole. Since fall is quickly upon us, this French Onion Soup inspired recipe is great for cool fall evenings!

French Onion Casserole



8 medium onions, sliced
5 Tbsp. butter, divided
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
Dash pepper
3/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
1-1/2 cups salad croutons
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 Tbsp. butter until tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Transfer onto an ungreased 9" square baking pan.

In a microwave, melt the remaining butter. Add the croutons; toss to coat. Spoon over the onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.

Broil 3-4" from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Happy Tuesday!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love french onion soup but my husband isn't a soup person. I think he prefers to chew than slurp! I hope your version ends up being a middle ground for us, this is my favorite fall soup! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete